THE PIMONTE CASTRUM
The defensive system that guarded the Amalfi crossings, unfolded under the ridge of the Lattari Mountains, where today goes the High Way of the Lattari Mountains, path CAI n. 300. Its main strengths were the Castle of Lettere, the Castrum Grahiani (now a hamlet of Castello di Gragnano), the Castrum Pini (of which the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie di Pino and a few remains of the walls on the rocky spur of the same name survive today) and finally the Pimonte Castrum. Thanks to the stations in the villages of Radicosa (on the Faito), Aurano (in the Valle dei Mulini, in the Pietre della Torrina locality), Silani (Sigliano di Gragnano hamlet), Gete (Gesini di Casola hamlet), they were a perfect sighting point and allowed a perfect displacement of the troops. From the Amalfi coast through the Amalfi’s Path of the Knights, the troops fought the attacks from the Nocerino Sarnese countryside and the Gulf of Naples. Camardo and M. Esposito (Le frontiere di Amalfi, Eidos, 1995, p. 74 et seq.) think of a building built after the Republic of Amalfi and date it to the Norman (Swabian) period. It is certain that the first historical news is from 1241 in an edict of Frederick II. On the extreme eastern tip of Mount “Bellovedere” (Monte Pendolo), where once stood the Castle, there are the ruins of the ancient Convent and Church of “S. Maria de pulchri visus”. It had been officiated until 1566 by the Fathers Agostiniani Scalzi and then by the Dominican P.P., until the Convent was dissolved by Pope Innocent X in 1652.
TOUR OF THE MONTE PENDOLO (MONTE CROCE)
- Lenght: 2.5 Km
- Rise: 150 mt
- Descent: 150 mt
- Average duration: 2.5 h
The walk allows you to enjoy the Gulf of Naples’ landscape. At the same time, you can discover the Pimonte castle’s ruins through a belvedere placed in the inner part of the mount, already the monitoring center of the Republic of Amalfi’s defensive system.
- Starting point: Pimonte (Info-point)
- Arrival: Pimonte (Info-point)