In this land, East and West crossed themselves leaving precious pieces of evidence of style, architecture, ornaments, cultures. The Etruscan, Greeks, Arab, Sicilian, Normans, French, and Spanish fought over this land. Their touch is visible in the cloisters and bell tower’s details, in the white cubic houses, or the alive streets full of marine energies, with a mountain soul.
The history of Pimonte begins with its Roman roots. The wood overlying the city of Stabiae supplied it with the necessary wood for shipbuilding, with wine, oil, fruit, and mineral water, very important during the navigation.
The Monte Lattari early food and wine go back to the Roman times, hence the name (latte which means milk). The displaced people of Melfi left the village in the fourth century A.D. after the fall of Rome to escape the Barbarian invasion and forged Amalfi and its surroundings on the Lattari Mounts around the sixth century. Then, it became a defensive castrum of the Byzantine Duchy of Naples, since it had a great relationship with Byzantium being the Amalfi people great maritime traders. Let us remember that Amalfi was a maritime Republic: Amalfi Knights (and Malta later) continued its memory.
We have accurate historical reconstruction from the Middle Ages of a fortification in Pimonte – the Pimonte’s Castrum. It formed a North defensive line towards the Gulf of Naples together with the Lettere and Gragnano castles. The Pino Castle was very important; you can reach it following the Amalfi’s Knights Path and enjoy its beauties.
Between the sixth and the ninth centuries, the defensive line defended Amalfi from the Langobardians’ attacks. Nothing could keep the Normans away in the twelfth century: the challenging Norman conquer of the Duchy of Amalfi ended in 1173.